Saturday, April 28, 2007

Days 5 and 6

Thursday I took another walk through the neighborhood. I was surprised this time how quickly it seemed like I got to the turn-off point to walk back. So instead of turning there, I decided to walk a bit further, up to the park where M and I walked with B the day before, and cut across by a field by the park before walking home. I took a couple of detours which made it slightly longer, but it was probably just a little longer than the previous walk.

Friday afternoon, I really wanted to squeeze in a walk before an event we were going to in the evening. It's starting to feel like I haven't had my day if I haven't had a walk! I walked to the park again, but there were people playing ball in the field, so I decided to walk the loop around the playground instead before heading back. The whole walk was about 30 minutes long. I felt great walking and listening to music. You'd think I would use this time to think, but instead it's more the one time of day I'm not really ruminating. It's like one big break from my worries. I just walk, & listen to the music and the lyrics, and notice what's around me, and it's like a mini-vacation. So in that way, I'm getting more benefit than just exercise, and better yet, I realized it's almost like a return to the way I felt in childhood, when I'd just ride my bike around the neighborhood for ages, or walk around, without a care in the world, just feeling the wind in my hair. Today's kids probably won't get to experience that kind of freedom like I did, but I'm sure enjoying it.

No comments: